You can maintain a healthy smile by practicing proper oral hygiene habits in the comfort of your home and regularly visiting your dentists at Southwest Dental Group in Racine, WI, Dr. David Defurio and Dr. Stephen Norovich.
What Are Simple Oral Hygiene Tips You Can Follow at Home?
The following are basic oral health care tips that you can practice and develop to maintain your oral health:
- Brush two times daily. Brush your teeth in the morning and at night.
- Observe the proper method of brushing your teeth. At an angle, grip your toothbrush and point its bristles to the area where your teeth and gums meet. Move it in a back and forth circular motion. Do this for two minutes, making sure to include your tongue and the inside/outside surfaces of your teeth.
- Make sure to floss. Flossing is equally vital as brushing your teeth. Doing this removes plaque in hard-to-reach areas between the teeth, reducing the risk of cavities and gum disease.
- Use fluoride-containing products. Fluoride is an effective aid in preventing tooth decay and gum disease.
- Rinse your mouth using mouthwash. Gargling mouthwash after brushing your teeth lowers acidity in the mouth and cleans areas that are difficult to reach using a toothbrush.
- Lower your consumption of sugary and acidic foods. These kinds of foods can wear down the enamel of your teeth and can lead to tooth decay.
- Stay hydrated. By drinking water after every meal, leftovers from the food you ate are washed away. Furthermore, water keeps your mouth moist which reduces the risk of developing cavities and gum disease, decreases the buildup of plaque in your teeth, and positively affects your overall health.
- Quit tobacco-containing products. If you use them, quit immediately. Not only can tobacco discolor your teeth and cause other oral complications, but they can also greatly harm your overall health.
When Should You See Your Dentist?
Although you can take care of your oral health at home, it is still necessary that you regularly see your dentist in Racine, WI, at least twice annually for checkups and cleanings. During these appointments, any underlying issues that you may have overlooked can be discovered and a treatment can be prescribed.
Need More Advice or Have Concerns About Your Oral Health? Contact Us
Call (262) 632-3156 to reach Southwest Dental Group in Racine, WI, and set up your visit with one of our dentists, Dr. David Defurio or Dr. Stephen Norovich.